[wp-polyglots] Serbian [sr_CS] translation

K Suominen ksuominen at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 23:50:05 GMT 2005

In the Finnish translation I used "seurantailmoitus" for TrackBack,
which translates to "tracking notification".  I didn't feel that
"TrackBack" would be recognized enough, although I think a manual of
sorts should exist for connecting the terms.  At least the admin help
page points to the page about TrackBack in English...

For PingBack I could not think of anything good, yet.  I wanted to use
a word that works in Finnish (which PingBack wouldn't), so for now
I've called it "signalointi" (signaling).

As for e-mail, yes, it is commonly translated in Finnish to
"sähköposti", "electronic mail" (or "electric mail", if you will ;-)).
 However, web is generally referred to as "web" or "web-sivusto" ("web
pages").  I've used "web-sivusto" for all instances of "web site" and
"site" ("site" does not have a specific Finnish translation).  (As an
aside, the translation for the Swedish "nät" would be "verkko", but
that's generally understood as "network" as opposed to "web", when
talking about something else than spiders (the animals) -- funny how
neighboring countries make different connections.)

Bookmarklet got translated as "suosikki", which means "favorite".  It
is a common translation used in Finnish today for both "bookmark" and
"favorite".  The diminutive "-let" does not really translate well to
Finnish.

Cheers,
+ Kim