[wp-polyglots] Seeking Maintainers

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Feb 21 22:09:04 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 11:49 -0800, Morgan Doocy wrote:
>One issue I've run into with Multilingual is how to deal with the
>Chinese locales. In Multilingual, the dialect isn't so important as the
>script used, so I've settled on using the IANA language tags for the
>Simplified and Traditional scripts (zh-Hans and zh-Hant), rather than
>using zh-CN, zh-TW, zh-HK, etc.
>
>There could be a problem with doing that for the localizations though,
>if different dialects which use the same script use different
>terminology, just like the variations between pt_PT and pt_BR, for
>example.

Something becoming more common is to append the script code to the
language and country codes.  This is often done with Serbian to
distinguish between Cyrillic and Latin scripts.  sr_CS is Cyrillic and
sr_CS at Latn is Latin.

I haven't seen this used with Chinese locales, however.  zh_CN, zh_TW,
and zh_HK are still widely used.  Perhaps dialect implies script in
these cases?  zh_CN is usually simplified Han (Hans) and zh_TW is
usually traditional Han (Hant), yes?  Is zh_CN at Hant, for example, a real
world situation or merely theoretical?

For reference, four letter script codes:

http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/iso15924-codes.html

Ryan