[wp-polyglots] New default theme missing strings

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Feb 21 21:37:59 GMT 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 21:57 +0100, Mihailo Stefanovic wrote:
>> I agree.  I was going to remove the gettext calls from the
>> default theme before 1.5 went out, but ran out of time and
>> energy.  I'd like to leave classic as is since it has been
>> using gettext for several releases now.
>
>I'd hate to see this feature go, but it is up to you.
> #1 on my wish list is
>truly multilingual WordPress: where user would be presented entire site in
>desired language, based on the browser locale or personal preferences. Maybe
>in 2.0? :)

There are various plugins available.  I'd like to let people innovate in
different directions and then survey the field and decide if there is a
favored approach that would work well as the default.  So, maybe in 2.0.
But, maybe not.  :-)

>As I said, "<?php _e('Not Found'); ?>" is not that hard to understand,
>considering that you have constructs like:
>
><?php edit_post_link('Edit','','<strong>|</strong>'); ?> and
><?php posts_nav_link('','','&laquo; Previous Entries') ?>
>
>in the same file.

Because the templates are already too complex does not mean we should
make them more so.  And _e('Not Found') is the simple case.  The cases
where we have long sprintf lines and argument swapping in the templates
are what we want to avoid.  I did a fully gettextized version of
sidebar.php, and the result look like someone dropped acid and then
started writing his thoughts in perl.

Ryan