[wp-polyglots] french translation

Morgan Doocy morgan at doocy.net
Fri Feb 18 10:32:11 GMT 2005

I think we should use whichever word has the closest connotation to
"post" in English -- that being a short electronic message,
self-published to a public web site or forum. tending to contain mostly
text, and usually communicative or expressive rather than strictly
informative or expository. The term is not slangy or trendy, but it is
a relatively new use of the word. Whichever French word best matches
that description I think we should go with, as long as there's no
danger of users actually not knowing what the term means (which I can't
really fathom, but I don't have the Académie changing the language
around all the time).

Again, I'm not French, so I'll go with whatever all the real
Francophones decide. :-)

As a side note, Xavier, I do fear that you _may_ have been influenced
too much by publishing industry language, where I would think the word
use would tend to be either technical/formal or jargony, with no middle
ground. I personally couldn't picture myself using the word "post" to
describe a published text if I worked at an online publication -- and
that's the word we're trying to replicate. Of course, I have no way of
knowing how subjective you are, so any assessment I make of your
subjectivity is entirely subjective in itself. Heh. :-P

Morgan