[wp-polyglots] french translation

Xavier Borderie xibe at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 18 09:23:23 GMT 2005

[grr, wrote a long answer, lost it because of bad FFox
manipulation, have to do it all again]

> > > I know "billet" is the term used by keen
bloggers.
> > Article is maybe a little bit more understandable
to the newbie.
> So my vote would be for billet.

We could also use "un texte" or "un message". I think
we should stick to the most common denominator, in
order for everyone to understand the meaning. I tend
to favor everyday words, and "article" is much more
used than "billet" these days (at least around me, and
I work in an online publication - we use "un papier",
but it's too Press-lingo).

When I started the 1.2 translation, I thought the I
should stick to the already existing MT one, which
uses "note".
To help sort things out, I'm gonna paste the relevant
definition for each one from Antidote :

Note :
 - phrases résumant une pensée, une observation, ce
qu’on a entendu.
 - Brève communication écrite destinée à informer.

Billet :
 - Courte lettre.
 - Petit article de journal.

Article :
 - Sujet distinct d’un texte. • Texte possédant une
unité de contenu et faisant partie d’une publication
 - Unité de base pour le classement, la description et
le rangement des documents.

I think "article" is the one to go.

=====
x.