[wp-polyglots] Tips for translating with Rosetta

Stefano steagl at people.it
Wed Feb 16 20:00:30 GMT 2005

Il Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:28:34 +0100, Tara Star
<tellme at climbtothestars.org> scrive:

>unless I'm mistaken, the problem stems from the fact that
>formal/informal is not that visible in English. Tu/vous distinction in
>French, for example (I'm always shocked when I see dubbed films where
>characters say "vous" when I understood their "you" as "tu" when I saw
>the same film in English). To say nothing of Hindi aap/tum/tu

I did som translation from English to Italian for fun and in a
professional way too and i always tried to keep the translation in a
formal/informal mix in Italian.

As you said in english is not always easy to understand what You is
used (forma or informal) often for software the informal form is used.

I Prefere to use the "vous" form for software cause "aprite" (open)
sound better than "apri" that could be sound as imperative form too.
The shortness of the sentence in software translation helps too, cause
even using the "vous" sounds no so formal as in a nomrla conversation.

This are my 2 cents contribution :)

Email: steagl at people.it - steagl at despammed.com
BlogPage: http://www.40annibuttati.it/
PGP keys available on keyservers  (cripted & signed PGP mail welcome)