[wp-polyglots] Tips for translating with Rosetta

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Feb 16 19:31:15 GMT 2005

> I only suggested using escapes because of the fact that Rosetta
> compiles its MO files in UTF-8, and there is no means of converting the
> MOs to the user's character encoding on-the-fly within WordPress. Ryan,
> what do you think about implementing this? It would allow users to
> enter literal characters no matter how they work on translations, and
> not have to worry about it being compatible with the user's selected
> encoding.

Users should get the mo files from the wordpress-i18n repository -- once
it is up and running.  If a translation team wants to provide multiple
encodings, that's what iconv is for.  I suggest every team natively
perform their translations in utf-8.  They can then run their utf-8 po
file through iconv

iconv -f UTF-8 -t ISO-8859-1

Of course, users should be "strongly persuaded" to use UTF-8.  Supporting
everyone's local encoding is maddening.

Ryan