[wp-polyglots] Tips for translating with Rosetta

Tara Star tellme at climbtothestars.org
Wed Feb 16 19:28:34 GMT 2005

Morgan Doocy wrote:

> Sorry, I meant that all messages should be converted using the same
> level of formality or informality as the source message. Don't try to
> make them all informal.

unless I'm mistaken, the problem stems from the fact that
formal/informal is not that visible in English. Tu/vous distinction in
French, for example (I'm always shocked when I see dubbed films where
characters say "vous" when I understood their "you" as "tu" when I saw
the same film in English). To say nothing of Hindi aap/tum/tu

Or is the problem here something different?

Steph