[Wp-install] WAMP installations - are they always glitchy?

Handy handy.solo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 19:19:33 GMT 2007

Never one to leave a post unanswered...

On 1/29/07, Jeremy Visser <jeremy.visser at gmail.com> wrote:

> In every single WAMP install I've done (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
> I've found that WordPress is extremely glitchy.

The only ones I've ever done were for internal company networks (intranet)
hosted on XAMPP or Wampserver.  Never had the problems you noted, but these
were low volume sites for sure!

On a related note, I self-hosted myself for quite a while on a WIMP box.  I
was pretty impressed with that one -- and it handled some good volume -- but
ultimately I switched to LAMP stack.  Akismet was a bit wonky, I never did
get GD2 (thumbnails) on it and pretty permalinks just couldn't happen
(although, since then, I've seen some interesting 3rd party approaches to
that).

> As a side note, how many people here run Linux as their primary OS?
> Windows? Mac?

XP primarily, but I always have a linux laptop next to me.  My first distro
was Ygdrasil (spelling?) back in the early 90s.  Sent away for it on a
QIC-80 tape...  I've done quite a few years with linux as primary, but as a
small business owner, I gotta have my QuickBooks.  Wine support isn't there
and starting a vmware session to get to my ledgers got too tedious.  And no,
gnuCash isn't just like QuickBooks -- save the response.  :-)

No mac, yet.  Been looking hard at those laptops the last few years though.

Ah, I remembered to PGP sign my message this time!