[wp-hackers] Splitting up the media library?

Mark Slade markandrewslade at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:47:23 UTC 2016

I'm working on a project where I will be attaching some custom taxonomies
and metadata to some of the items in the media library.  This is straight
forward.

It would be preferable if I could create an entirely separate media library
for this.  I'm thinking of something that is to the media library what
custom post types are to posts.  That is - something that behaves exactly
like the media library but has an admin UI distinct from the regular media
library.  My goal is twofold:

1. A separate place to view / manage the new post type that is distinct
from the media library.  I don't want users to have to navigate to the
regular media library and filter through regular media library stuff versus
assets.

2. The extra taxonomies / meta data should only apply to this new post
type.  For example if "Color" is one of the taxonomies my assets will
support, I want the assets UI to have a "Color" column but I *don't* want
the regular media library to have a "Color" column.

I can tell that WordPress doesn't support this without some extra work but
I'm wondering if anyone with more experience dealing with the media library
can weigh in.  Has anyone done this before?  Is it a bad idea?  If it's
do-able, can anyone recommend a high-level approach?

Thanks,
Mark