[wp-hackers] Building advanced taxonomy urls

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 05:58:40 UTC 2016

What does it take to make this general querying format work?

?tax-1=term-a&tax-2=term-y

This URL is expected to get the posts meeting the following criteria:
 * the post matches term-x under tax-1
   AND
 * the post also matches term-y under tax-2

where tax-1 or tax-2 in the URL could perfectly be a built-in taxonomy
*such as "category" or "post_tag"*.

Is that even possible?

Based on my environment, a URL query formulated as above redirects to a
random post. But if I were to add "*category_name*" parameter in the URL,
then it does not do that redirect. *(I know that that is because WordPress
has special rules when it sees the string "*category_name*" as part of the
URL. )*

So while this works

?category_name=term-a&tax-2=term-y

This does not:

?category=term-a&post_tag=y

This may be good enough for many situations, but it does force the posts to
be classified under a specific category (which means that the taxonomy
"category" must always be part of the deal and you must always use
"category_name" in the URL. )

Am I getting this wrong? Is there a way to generalize the URLs by simply
 concatenating taxonomy=term pieces without using the "category_name" in
the url?

This question has also been posted at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40955753/building-advanced-wordpress-urls-for-advanced-taxonomy-queries

Thank you