[wp-hackers] Contents of wp-hackers digest...

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Mon Nov 23 10:31:56 UTC 2015

On 22/11/15 12:00, wp-hackers-request at lists.automattic.com wrote:
> Firstly, searching for single words is not the best way to search the
> plugin directory. Single word searches are largely useless. We're searching
> the readme.txt files. What did you expect to find with simplistic searching?
Hi Otto,

Thanks for replying. I wasn't personally suggesting searching using
single-word terms. I was assuming that real-world users do that, and
that giving them better results where possible would be a reasonable
thing to do.

I don't have access to the search engine stats. Some stats on the
average length of searches would be interesting. It may be a non-problem.
> However, "backup" was modified 7 hours ago,
Something interesting seems to have happened on this one. Here's the
ancient "backup" plugin I was referring to via the Internet Archive,
which was the 'live' one until I sent my email:
https://web.archive.org/web/20150905125725/https://wordpress.org/plugins/backup/
It seems that someone then got in with a different one for 1 day:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151122192417/https://wordpress.org/plugins/backup/
. It's now gone: https://wordpress.org/plugins/backup/ - returns no
direct result for that slug.
>   "contact" in the last year, and
That's what I said: '"Contact" - brings up a plugin last modified > a
year ago, tested up to WP 4.0.'. My point wasn't that they're all
necessarily ancient; just that they're not good #1 results for the
search term entered, when all the possible search factors that could be
involved are taken into account (reviews + ratings, downloads, whether
the plugin is maintained, + other indicators of how much the author
cares (e.g. using a banner/icon)).
> "pinterest" I've closed because you brought it up and it is indeed 4 years
> old.
>
> Bringing these up to the plugins email address is indeed the correct
> approach. We weed too.
Thanks. I will do this in future. I was asking because based on a
previous conversation (can't recall which one of the people on the
mailbox it was with), I'd understood that ancient plugins aren't removed
from the directory search because of the possibility that someone may
find their code useful even if they can't run on recent WP versions.
Since that's not the case, I'll just report them directly in future.

David