[wp-hackers] Plugin DB tables on multisite

Jerry Milo Johnson jmiloj at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:20:08 UTC 2015

I would keep it as close to wp-like as possible.

if you need a table, make it match that blog's table structure.

wp_1_mytable.

If you ever need to split, or export, or move that subblog to a different
network, or on its own, it has its own set of tables and isnt co-mingled.

If possible, and the data fits (or sort-of fits) into a custom post type,
with main data, title, id, date, categories and metadata, you should do so.
it is understandable, and a lot of the heavy lifting is done for you.

If you need to store "global" custom post types, I typically place them on
blog 1 (the main site blog), alongside the main blogs cpt entries, but have
a metadata flag for "global", and use switch-to-blog to pull them out when
I need them.