[wp-hackers] Git best practices

Roger Chen (RogerHub) developer at rogerhub.com
Tue May 6 01:30:54 UTC 2014

Our developers use Vagrant with a simple configuration that sets up WPMU on
a VM with some essential themes, plugins, settings (from a database dump)
etc. Everything is kept under version control with git. Then, most of our
devs use rsync or something similar to test code on their VM. When they're
done, they commit back to git from their hosts (not within the VM). I find
it easier than hosting VM's centrally. If they're working on more than one
project, you can always setup multiple VMs. Unless there's some bizarre
reason why database data needs to be shared among developers, it's usually
enough to just check in updated code to version control.

I would highly recommend Vagrant, no matter what plan you go with..

Best,

Roger