[wp-hackers] Network Installation for multisites

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Sat Mar 22 12:47:16 UTC 2014

Nikola Nikolov wrote:
> I'm just wildly guessing here, but maybe one of the reasons is because a
> multisite network is more complex than a normal WordPress site - meaning
> that the administrator of a network should have a bit more technical
> knowledge and you would most-likely need FTP access to your site anyway.

I suspect, without having looked into the history, that it's more just
because WP doesn't have any way to do it, and WPMU was the forgotten
step-child until integration into core.

As far as I know, WP doesn't have any way to modify existing PHP files
automatically (although it has similar for htaccess), and WPMU wasn't
too user-focussed, so it was a low priority.

I'd hazard a guess that a well-written ticket and patch to do this
automatically wouldn't be rejected. :)

--
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>