[wp-hackers] GSoC 2014 Questions

Benedict, Keith (Digital) KBenedict at postmedia.com
Mon Mar 3 19:01:14 UTC 2014

I saw this thread and thought I’d pop a note on it…

Having just worked through the development of a “Simple” app using phone gap, which is now submitted and undergoing apple review.  I have to say I would almost never do it again, and if I did I would not underestimate the numerous issues that are faced with the simplest of tasks.

For instance, something as simple as the status bar in IOS7 versus 6 initially led us to believe we would require a plugin…which didn’t work as advertised, that then led us to add pixels to push the screen down on IOS 7, which again didn’t work as well as advertised.  We ended up fussing about this tiny issue for a significant amount of time.

Phone gap makes it easier to deploy apps with no objective-c knowledge.  However it does guarantee you can make “Good” apps without this knowledge.  Whomever is building the app will need to run Xcode on their Mac OS X system, and likely will be manipulating the delegate.m file to add in some code when it comes to any sort of add-ins like analytics additions, alerts, in-app web browser, etc.. They also need to ensure classes are registered, frameworks added and modify the plist file for various settings.  This all of course is depending on your needs, I doubt most apps will make it through without at least one phone gap plugin.

Also the documentation for many of those is horribly inaccurate at times to completely wrong in others.  Be warned that developers will need to do their research.  We worked on a project that was given 2 months and it took 3 instead after having to work through the “phone gap -isms”.

The alternative to a local build is you can use the build service for phone gap, however….If you are not paying for an account you are restricted to a 10 MB project.  If you are paying, you can get up to 50mb project.  The trick here is this size is the raw size of all your generated code, media assets and application code for all platforms…so if you have a few mb of assets for each, you’ll nearly start bumping the free limit.  So the alternative is to develop the app locally on your Mac OS X machine running Xcode (For IOS builds anyway).

Lastly….just because it helps build multi platform.  Expect a lot of “Why doesn’t that work on android…” or “Why doesn’t that work on IOS…”  It’s no where near perfect, you have to hand hold both and again with Android you will want someone troubleshooting it with Java experience using the Android SDK on Eclipse…it is incredibly slow, but it is the way it is done.

Our app is completed and going through apple review, it ties into our Wordpress site nicely, and it took a lot of work. I truly think we would have had a better app if we spent the month figuring out issues and learning object-c or java as needed.

Good luck!