[wp-hackers] Introducing myself to WordPress community

Ian Dunn ian at iandunn.name
Mon Mar 3 15:01:47 UTC 2014

On 3/2/14, 1:01 PM, Varun Agrawal wrote:
> it seems to make heavy use of core libraries that are
> also used by WordPress. So, I think, porting it to a plugin will
> definitely give a good experience of core and will be helpful in
> becoming a core contributor.

SupportPress was built on top of BackPress, which was an attempt to
extract the reusable components into an external library, but it's not
really maintained anymore.

There's a plugin called SupportFlow on GitHub that has a lot of the work
done already, so the project may use that as a starting point.

In my experience, plugin development definitely helps you learn about
Core, but it's not the same as working on Core itself. You learn more
about the API than you do about the internals. So, it's definitely good,
but it's not as good as working directly on Core.

It could be used as a stepping-stone into Core development, though. It's
up to you.