[wp-hackers] Options table' varchar 64.

Nikola Nikolov nikolov.tmw at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 20:06:57 UTC 2014

What I've used before(and now I see is not the best) is to simply do

$key = md5( "my_{$complicated}_{$multi}_component_{$key}" );

Instead a better approach is

// Should not be longer than 13 characters, since md5() returns 32
characters => 32+13 = 45, which is the limit
$prefix = 'my_';
$key = $prefix . md5( "{$complicated}_{$multi}_component_{$key}" );

This way you can

DELETE FROM $wpdb->options WHERE option_name LIKE '$prefix%';

Which is good to do when your plugin is deactivated.