[wp-hackers] Plugin development and Subversion

Dave McHale dmchale at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 14:49:55 UTC 2014

I'm new to Subversion but hoping someone can help steer me in the right
direction here. Hopefully my explanation below makes sense.

When developing, I tend to open my projects at the root of a Wordpress
installation using PHPStorm since I get full context of the WP ecosystem -
clicking on function names brings me to the function itself, etc. However,
the baked-into-the-editor SVN integration requires that when you start
coding, you open the root of your REPOSITORY which ideally would be my
specific plugin at /wp-content/plugins/<myPluginName>. So I'm stuck either
opening my plugin directory only (and losing my Wordpress context) or
putting an ENTIRE copy of wordpress into a repository simply because I want
to work on a plugin.

I know one option is to just do whatever I want for development, and handle
all my SVN stuff on the side using something like TortoiseSVN, but I'm
trying to keep things streamlined as much as possible which is why the IDE
integration was appealing. Am I looking at this the wrong way? Is there a
way to do this that I'm missing? It just seems silly to include 16MB+ of WP
Core code in my repository - not to mention require that every single
plugin I work on have it's own full copy of Core, too.

TIA, hackers!

Dave