[wp-hackers] Follow-up — Is '/category/2013/11/12/sample-post/' a scalable permalink structure?

Aahan Krish krish+wphackers at aahan.me
Sun Jan 12 16:47:21 UTC 2014

Is '/%category%/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/' a scalable permalink
structure for a large and growing news site with over 8000 posts and around
40 new posts being added per day?

(This is a follow-up of the post 'Creating a news site on WordPress - some
technical questions' (
http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2013-December/047508.html)
I asked a few weeks ago.)

We are planning to use Categories as Editions (as clearly detailed in the
link), and thus need the category in the permalink structure.

Although the permalink structure handling in WordPress has improved
tremendously, I still believe that the information shared in this thread is
still relevant:
http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-testers/2009-January/011097.html

So, the question is, can we go ahead with this structure:
'/%category%/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/'?

Any suggestions are most welcome, but please do read the linked threads for
some context.

best,
Aahan