[wp-hackers] How to install a new theme? [solved]

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Feb 25 00:46:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 15:11:44 -0600
Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Steve Litt
> <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> > I'm curious why the Ubuntu 13.10 packager installed Wordpress has
> > everything owned and grouped by root, with write permissions only
> > for root. Is their package defective?
>
> It is my considered opinion that using any distribution's "packaged"
> version of WordPress is a bad idea. I don't know why they do this sort
> of thing to begin with.

       *     *
        \ o /
         \|/
          |        A W   R I G H T ! ! !
         / \  _
        /   \/
       /
      -

Thank you, Otto. It's amazing how easy it was once I followed your
advice, got rid of the Ubuntu installed WordPress, and unzipped the zip
file downloaded from wordpress.org, following the directions at
http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress .

It took me about an hour, considering I was very careful in following
the instructions, and doing stuff not mentioned by the documentation,
like chown -R www-data.www-data blogg. Yeah, I spelled blogg with two
g's because I got a not found if I spelled it with one g, probably a
defective vestige of the Ubuntu Wordpress installation I blew away.

It took me two minutes to install a new theme, and doing so required no
brains at all.

Otto, thank you for giving me detailed, correct and topical technical
information that allowed me to do this.

SteveT