[wp-hackers] How to install a new theme?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Feb 24 19:36:05 UTC 2014

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 19:06:16 +0000
John Blackbourn <johnbillion+wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> After unzipping the theme into "ryu", is there an "ryu" directory
> inside it? If so you'll need to move the files inside it up one level.
>
> Eg. this is wrong:
>
> ryu
>  - ryu
>     - index.php
>     - style.css
>
> This is right:
>
> ryu
>  - index.php
>  - style.css

The preceding, which you label as "right" is how I did it. Its contents
looked pretty much like the twentytwelve and twentythirteen
directories, which *were* recognized.

> If that's not the problem then I've no idea what's wrong. Installing a
> theme is very straight forward. The only other thing it could be is an
> opcode cache, but that should get flushed when restarting the server
> or the machine.

Yeah, I was figuring it was some kind of cache, which is why I
restarted everything. John, you've given me some valuable info: What I
was doing *should* have worked, and is the right way of doing it. So
now it's just a matter of getting Wordpress to conform to its
as-designed behavior.

Thanks

SteveT