[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin inspections

Peter van der Does peter at avirtualhome.com
Thu Feb 20 13:18:59 UTC 2014

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:39:31 -0500
Chris Williams <chris at clwill.com> wrote:

> - Who elected DXW as the keeper of the standards?
> - How does DXW establish their standards ("this plugin is large")?
> - Can anyone have input into those standards?
> - What value is there in a "cursory review"?  If you don't understand
> the code, you don't have a leg to stand on.
> - What recourse other than paying them is there to a bad review?
> - If an author takes their input and fixes their plugin, will DXW
> redo the review without payment, and then repair all the negative
> publicity they have generated?
> - If I use a plugin that DXW has reviewed as safe, and I get hacked,
> can I sue DXW?
> - How does one insure that DXW doesn't have ulterior motives in their
> reviews?  Competitive products, products they don't like/use, authors
> who pay for reviews being treated better than authors who don't?
>
> This is just like Yelp -- a half-baked idea made even worse by little
> or no validation of the source of the review.

You can't sue them Chris, no mater how they reviewed the code.

Rule 3 in their Terms of Service
"Accordingly, we make absolutely no guarantees. If we are wrong in our
assessment you accept that you are not able to sue us for that reason."

On an updated review:
Rule 4
"If you object to any of our assessments, for example if you are a
maintainer on a project about which we’ve published some information,
please contact us at contact at dxw.com giving full particulars of your
objection and we will try to consider your objections within a
reasonable time. We do not guarantee to change or remove anything
merely on request." and in another email Harry wrote:

"Of course, we do want to keep everything as up to date as we can.
Unfortunately we don't have nearly the time to be able to monitor all
the inspections for updated versions and check them again proactively.
Inspections will get update if a client asks us to review an updated
version. We do currently always do an updated inspection if the author
drops us a note to ask for one, but that is a bit dependent on our
availability - I can't guarantee we'll always be able to. But certainly
for now, if you have a new version, send an email to contact at dxw.com
with the details, and we'll have a look."

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: CB317D6E

Site: http://avirtualhome.com