[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin inspections

Harry Metcalfe harry at dxw.com
Thu Feb 20 09:08:15 UTC 2014

Hi Casey,

Thanks for the feedback and questions.

Really good point about the comments - inspections are a manual process
and I would hope we would notice any comments like that and take them
into account. We haven't spotted many yet though! Generally the comments
are along the lines of "// TODO: I know this is bad but I'll fix it
later" :)

On those requests:

Filing bugs is something we'd love to be able to do, but I just don't
think it's practical for us. An inspection is a very time-limited thing
and it doesn't usually result in enough information for a good bug
report. If we find something that's definitely vulnerable, we do
generally write an advisory and report that, either directly or via
plugins at wordpress.org. We would also like to be able to notify plugin
authors, but for it to be practical, it would have to be automatic. We
can't automatically email authors as WordPress.org (entirely reasonably)
does not publicise author email addresses. I suppose we could put a
robot post on the plugin forum, but that seems... questionable. What do
you think?

Of course, we do want to keep everything as up to date as we can.
Unfortunately we don't have nearly the time to be able to monitor all
the inspections for updated versions and check them again proactively.
Inspections will get update if a client asks us to review an updated
version. We do currently always do an updated inspection if the author
drops us a note to ask for one, but that is a bit dependent on our
availability - I can't guarantee we'll always be able to. But certainly
for now, if you have a new version, send an email to contact at dxw.com
with the details, and we'll have a look.

Cheers,

Harry