[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin inspections

Jamie Currie jamie at wunderdojo.com
Thu Feb 20 05:07:29 UTC 2014

New topic to spice things up.

One of my dedicated servers recently starting giving me problems with
GIT. I'd ssh in to pull the latest version of a plugin and would get
error messages about the resource being unavailable or whatever. Tracked
it down to too many processes running, specifically calls to
admin-ajax.php.

Googling turns up lots of threads on the topic, but none that has really
helped nail down exactly what's going on. If I select one of the
processes hitting admin-ajax and kill it, they all disappear and
everything goes back to working.

It seems that auto-save could be the culprit, though I've changed the
auto-save time period to much longer than stock. I have a sneaking
suspicion that it's a theme that was just installed on a site (multisite
network) which has its own page builder framework.

So, anyone have a suggestion as to how I might track down where the
request to admin-ajax is originating? grep gives me the list of
potential candidates, but that would only help if I were to start
disabling / enabling things and then watching to see what happens -- not
an option on a live network of sites.

Jamie Currie
Founder / CEO
wunderdojo