[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin inspections

Harry Metcalfe harry at dxw.com
Wed Feb 19 20:52:00 UTC 2014

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I can say categorically that we are not
trying to hold anyone to ransom. I'll try to explain.

Going back a couple of years, our clients expected us to give them some
sort of assessment of plugins before we suggested using them. For a
while, we did this informally, and the results were very mixed. We found
that sometimes we would miss things. There was no set of criteria that
we applied, and we didn't record the results. This also led us to waste
time by checking out the same problem twice.

To solve these problems, we decided have a list of things that we think
are important (https://security.dxw.com/about/plugin-inspections/) and
to record the results of inspections somewhere so we didn't duplicate
work. We did this in private for a while but then thought that this was
probably information that others might find useful. So, we decided to
publish the results.

We have tried very hard to make sure that the results of these
inspections, and our confidence in them, is obvious to people who read
them. We've published the process. We've made sure it's clear that
inspections deal with likelihoods, not certainties. We've said that
people should always conduct their own checks. We've set out our terms
of service prominently, which include contact information for anyone
who'd like to tell us we're wrong. And we're totally happy (within
reason) to revisit things if people do that.

I would very much like it if these inspections could be more thorough,
but unfortunately, we're subject to the same commercial realities as
everyone else. We care more about security than most of our clients.
Most people are not willing to pay for security assurance work.
Inspections are light-touch because we don't charge existing clients for
them, and that's the only way we can make it economical.

I hope we can figure out some way to make some money out of this (hence
those messages saying we can be commissioned) but so far, we haven't
made a penny. We're just trying to make the outputs of something we do
anyway useful to a wider group.

If you have feedback on practical ways we could do that better, I'd love
to hear it.

Harry