[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin inspections

Jamie Currie jamie at wunderdojo.com
Wed Feb 19 20:27:44 UTC 2014

I had the exact opposite reaction to Chris Williams. Literally a week
ago I was talking to someone about the need for more rigorous evaluation
of plugins. I find that I now use only a small handful of plugins that I
have extensive experience with because of the lack of any quality
standard.

If that sounds a bit harsh, I'd suggest enabling DEBUG and mysql slow
query (at something like 1 second) and then test out various plugins.
And that's just the blatantly obvious stuff. I won't point fingers, but
I recently had issues with one pretty popular plugin and when I went
into the code to poke around I found that it is fundamentally flawed in
the design -- so much so that I rewrote it and will be sending the
author the new code and explanation.

I understand that a cursory review is subjective and prone to
misstatements, but it's at least a step in the right direction. Perhaps
the next step would be for Harry to formalize some kind of process for
responding to / contesting reviews and to encourage community
involvement (maybe via this list) to "review the reviews" if you will.
I'd be happy to get involved in a process like that if the end result
were a base of plugins that had been scrutinized by some of the WP
brains on this list.

And if, at the end of the day, he harnesses that power to help build a
business, I don't see anything wrong with that either. I think 99% of us
are using WP to make money and it seems to me like he's identified a
clear need and at least attempted to address it -- which is pretty much
the story of every successful business.

Jamie Currie
Founder / CEO
wunderdojo