[wp-hackers] Are CPTs meant to be used for listings (like books, movies)?

Aahan Krish krish+wphackers at aahan.me
Sat Feb 8 06:17:45 UTC 2014

Hello,

I have a problem with CPTs. It's not about creating or using them, but
knowing whether they are suitable (or meant) for my use-case.

This is about my personal website. The major part of the site is very
blog-like. I use the permalink structure /%category%/%postname%/ to
organize posts by subject (e.g. notes, science, maths, etc.).

Now I am also planning to list Books and Movies I've read/watched or plan
to read/watch. As for books, I also need three custom taxonomies --
subject, writer, and publisher.

Given the case, should I use CPTs, or simply create 2 new categories
(movies, books) and the three custom taxonomies for use with these
categories? What's the right (or better) way to go about doing it?

PS: I did read Otto's article on this very topic (
http://ottopress.com/2010/wordpress-3-0-and-custom-post-types/), and it
only left me even more confused -- he can only cover so much in a single
post.

best,
Aahan