[wp-hackers] Discontinuing a plugin on WordPress.org

Nikola Nikolov nikolov.tmw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 11:36:07 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I was working with a client that was using the Fundify WordPress theme,
which was powered by a combination of Fundify Crowdfunding(
https://wordpress.org/plugins/appthemer-crowdfunding/ ) and EDD.

I wanted to download the source of the plugin to my computer to easily
navigate through the codebase. On the plugin page they've added "(Moved)"
to the name of the plugin.
Once I extracted the archive, there was nothing but an empty .php file and
a readme.txt file.

My question in this case is - is this allowed and isn't that a terrible way
of discontinuing a plugin? What if someone updates the plugin and their
site stops working? Or someone installs the plugin and nothing happens...

Is there anything the WordPress.org plugins team can do about it?

Best regards,
Nikola