[wp-hackers] When shady people resell your work...

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Wed Apr 9 12:28:06 UTC 2014

> Have you ever heard of Easy Digital Downloads or CodeCanyon?  We
> basically use the same business model, which seems to be in compliance
> with the whole GPL/WP business. Am I wrong?
Ultimately, all legal questions are resolved by lawyers and by court
cases. Up until that point, nothing more than hot air exists. I like to
do a bit of armchair punditry as much as anyone... but none of it
changes the game being played on the pitch.

I say this as someone with every sympathy. Regardless of GPL issues (and
all my WordPress products are 100% GPL, whether free or commercial),
some people will see an opportunity to leech money from your hard work,
and you need a strategy for that that is more than "tell them they're
not allowed to". That's an overly optimistic strategy on this side of
the end of the world.

In my view, the two main safeguards are a) continuous innovation b) top
quality support. If you keep doing these, then the amount of new
customers, and the purchases of happy repeat customers, will offset your
losses to the leeches.

Best wishes,
David

--