[wp-hackers] Google Content Experiments & wp

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Fri Sep 27 18:26:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM, David Ernst <david at ernsts.us> wrote:

> Does anyone here know if it's possible to use Google Content
> Experiments<
> https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147?hl=en&topic=1745207>to
> test variations that apply site-wide? For example, running a test on
> different versions of a theme's header.php.

I'm not sure what you were hoping to get from the Content Experiments
system, but have you considered using GA Custom Variables and/or Events to
track the effect of having the chat box? If you already have GA set up for
the site, you just need to drop a few lines of JS into the header to set
which version you're using (i.e. with chatbox or without) , then in GA you
can generate reports that compare the two values and the end results.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingCustomVariables

I opted for that setup because it lets me keep most of the framework for
defining tests inside my WP plugins/themes rather than stored inside GA
(though obviously the data is still stuck there).

--
Jeremy Clarke • jeremyclarke.org
Code and Design • globalvoicesonline.org