[wp-hackers] multi step registration for new users?

BenderisGreat greglancaster71 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 12:35:25 UTC 2013

I know some of you will recommend a plugin like gravity forms, but I want to
code this myself.  Custom registration page is simple, but how would I go
about coding a three step registration process.   I have several custom
usermeta fields applicable for all users.  Rather than have them register,
and then fill it all out on their own I would love to have a custom designed
walk through.

Fill out username, email, and how they heard about the site.  click next and
another few selections and text boxes can be filled.  The data would be
populating the usermeta boxes - but what is the best way to accomplish this?
Any tutorials or examples anyone can refer me to?