[wp-hackers] How to share database information via scripts

Nikola Nikolov nikolov.tmw at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 18:32:35 UTC 2013

Well, I guess the that if you want to put this in forum signatures and
stuff - it would be best if you generate an image with PHP(or other
scripting languages I guess).

So for instance you would have
http://example.com/signatures/generator.php?uid=1234567 . People would use
the URL as the "src" attribute of an image.

Your script would have to look-up the ID in your database(or whatever part
of the information you're going to display - I just assumed that it would
be specific to every user), and then draw an image and serve it to the
browser. Ultimately you would want to cache the images(so store the drawn
image with the correct data in a cache directory and upon request check if
it exists and possibly check when it was modified and if that was too long
ago, re-draw the image in order to clear the cache - in case your data
changes) to save server load and loading time for the pages where this info
would go to.

I would look into the gdlibrary and tutorials on how to create images with
text in PHP - there must be lots of them on the internet, but I personally
haven't actually done that.