[wp-hackers] WordPress Search

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 11:18:16 UTC 2013

Thank you for your feedback Simon.

After you pointing out that a custom Google search is not as good as Google
search, I compared these two;

this one searches  "advanced taxonomy posts" on wordpress.org web site
http://wordpress.org/search/advanced%20taxonomy%20posts

and this one searches "advanced taxonomy posts" on google.com with a search
operator attached (site:wordpress.org)
https://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=site%3Awordpress.org+advanced+taxonomy+posts&oq=site%3Awordpress.org+advanced+taxonomy+posts&gs_l=serp.3...68176.72806.0.76162.23.23.0.0.0.0.117.1552.22j1.23.0.cprnk%2Caddre%3Dcollection...0...1.1.30.serp..23.0.0.mY8gd8FhLtc

Obviously results are pretty close but not identical. Both are good and
share a lot in common.
I have done some other searches but I feel like Google search results are a
little better, more mature. But it makes me think why there is a
difference?

I guess there are some settings internally set somewhere and that modifies
the way the results are served. ( PS. I'm *not* referring here how the
search results are displayed format wise, I mean the actual order and the
result set... ) They are definitely not identical.

As to the elasticsearch you refer to, from an earlier look, it looks like a
complicated route to me.

Does the elasticsearch be able to handle "5 Pillars" and the "Tariq
Ramadan" examples I gave you in my earlier post?
Can it handle 5+5 type search? ( Not that I need this but... )
Could elasticsearch leverage Google search with all of its intelligence, or
is it a complete "DIY" situation here?

I'm just curious.