[wp-hackers] iOS WP app: Featured image size problems

Micky Hulse mickyhulse.lists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 23 18:58:23 UTC 2013

Hello,

Thanks so much for the replies J.D. and Simon, I really appreciate your help.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 5:25 AM, J.D. Grimes <jdg at codesymphony.co> wrote:
> I don't think that wp_get_attachment_image_src() accepts parameters of the format you are using ('300px'). http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_get_attachment_image_src
> The $size can either be a keyword (thumbnail, medium, large or full) or an array (array(300,300)).

My bad. I apologize that I did not mention the rest of my setup.

In my functions file, I have:

function mytheme_setup() {
add_theme_support('post-thumbnails');
set_post_thumbnail_size(150, 150);
}
add_action('after_setup_theme', 'mytheme_setup');
// ... and later on in this file:
# Add new image sizes:
add_image_size('130px', 130); // Thumbnail size: 130 x 130
add_image_size('300px', 300); // Medium size: 300 x 300
add_image_size('470px', 470);
add_image_size('640px', 640);
add_image_size('810px', 810);
add_image_size('980px', 980); // Large size: 980 x 980
add_image_size('1320px', 1320);
add_image_size('1620px', 1620);
add_image_size('1960px', 1960);

The new image size names are based on another system we use ... I
wanted to keep the "XXXpx" naming conventions the same across systems.

With that said, the use of (for example):

wp_get_attachment_image_src(get_post_thumbnail_id($post->ID), '300px')
wp_get_attachment_image_src(get_post_thumbnail_id($post->ID), '640px')

... work for all images, except for images uploaded as a featured
image using the WP iOS app.

Other image getting functions also work, but it's the iOS images that
just return the original source image size.

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Simon Vart <simon.vart at exigences.biz> wrote:
> I think you could also add a new image size in functions.php :
> add_image_size( '300px', 300, 300, true );
> and then your call to wp_get_attachment_image_src() will be understood. When
> you upload an image, WP will create a image of this size with the keyword
> '300px'

Sorry again, that I did not detail my setup. Thank you for the help,
and thankfully I do have that setup in my functions.php file. I
should've made that clear in my first message. :(

Question(s):

When you folks use the iOS WP app, and set a featured image, are you
able to get at the different sizes on your templates?

For some reason, my setup isn't allowing me to access the custom image
sizes (only for iOS-uploaded featured images), even though they are
generated and sitting there in my uploads folder.

Maybe I'm not setup properly in my functions.php file? I have all of
my add_image_size() calls just sitting out in the open. Do I need to
have these inside of an action? Should they go inside the
"after_setup_theme" action along side my
add_theme_support('post-thumbnails') call?

Please let me know if I can provide more information.

Thank you!