[wp-hackers] Multi-domains on Multi-site

Nicholas Ciske nl at thoughtrefinery.com
Tue Oct 15 17:36:31 UTC 2013

Domain Mapping plugins can generally map multiple domains to any *sub-site* ... but cannot map additional domains the main site/blog -- something has to be absolute. That way lies madness and redirect loops -- the main site is the main site and can really only have one domain associated with it. You can use a throwaway (non public) domain for the main site (e.g. a .info domain) and run all sites as sub-sites to enable domain mapping for the 'main public' domain.

e.g.
example.info
- example.com <- this is your main public site, but is actually a subsite in MS
- other.net

As Abdussamad said, only one mapped domain can be primary and all other domains mapped to a sub-site will flow towards the primary domain (e.g. via a redirect or the users first click). This is pretty fundamental to how WP is architected (e.g. it won't even allow www. and no www. -- you have to choose one to redirect the other to).

If you want multiple domains to point to your main blog domain... use DNS redirects (or .htaccess redirects before the WP rewrite rules *to the main domain* if you need to redirect specific URLs).

Avoid mapping multiple domains to serve the same content -- e.g. using a hook to break WP's preference for a single canonical domain per site -- as Mika said, that way lies SEO madness (and duplicate content penalties).
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

Basically, any domain + URL combo should ideally serve mostly unique content... if you have multiple domains/urls serving the exact same content, you're probably doing_it_wrong() and will not likely find a plugin to assist you in hosing your SEO ;-)

Nick Ciske
http://thoughtrefinery.com/
@nciske