[wp-hackers] i love wordpress support for php functions, but this what happens with every upgrade of jquery...

Konrad Karpieszuk kkarpieszuk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 09:31:42 UTC 2013

Hi people

I think one of most important thing in wordpress is that it supports even
old wordpress api functions (just throwing notice that this is depracated
and you should consider to use new way of doing this thing). This very
important argument when you propose to your customer to build website on
wordpress: you can tell him that website will work for years, and he/she
don't have to be affraid of making wordpress core upgrades.

But this what happens after every upgrade of wordpress which delivers new
version of jQuery i can comment only in three letters: WTF?! :)

Today i upgraded one website of my customer to wp 3.6.1 which brings jquery
1.10. And after that all sliders based on jquery tabs stopped to work.

I found reason: in my sliders i heavily use method 'selected' which in new
version of jQuery is called 'active' and i use 'fx' - now i should use
'show' option.

I changed that, but what with other websites? I developed tens of them
where i am sure problem will be the same after wordpress upgrade.

And also few months ago i sam that jquery tabs method 'rotate' also was
castrated. Then i found some plugin which brought it back.

But this is silly! I include jquery and jquery-ui-tabs using
wp_enqueue_script every time - in the way how codex.wordpress suggest to do
this. Now it looks that because of wp upgrades you cannot depend on this.

I cannot tell my customers not to upgrade wordpress, because of that
animations will stop to work. Also i cannot charge thetm for my additional
work after every wordpress upgarde - this is not the way how i cooperate
with customers.

I know that the problem is in jQuery way of development, not in wordpress,
but maybe you - wordpress core developers - have some idea how to deal with
it?

--
(en) regards / (pl) pozdrawiam
Konrad Karpieszuk