[wp-hackers] A tool to check whether the core files were tampered?

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Fri Nov 15 16:42:33 UTC 2013

Hi,

Since I sell a solution in this area, I'm biased...

... but, as a long-time security pro, I'd say that a plugin which offers
to check that your website hasn't been tampered with fails at the
conceptual level. Useless. It's only good as long as you're sure that
the plugin itself is intact. Altering the plugin is trivially easy (e.g.
1 line to short-circuit the tamper check, and 'return true;'). It's like
asking your young son "you would tell me if you were lying, wouldn't
you?". "Yeah dad, sure". "Thanks - I was almost worried for a moment there."

Why would someone who tampers with your website *not* tamper with the
security check? Basically, you're relying on the hacker being
incompetent. Wordfence (for example), has had over 1 million downloads.
Why would someone trying to break into WordPress sites have to be to not
have "short-circuit WordFence's tamper checks" in his toolkit?

Unless you're happy assuming that hackers will continue ignoring
WordFence (etc.) so that their hacks can get cleaned up quicker, then
the only way to verify your files is off-site, i.e. externally. Anything
(not just a plugin) that you run within the same web-space could itself
be tampered with. A service which has pristine versions of your plugins,
and can compare them in a 'clean room' with what's installed. <Advert>I
do this with my own tool (from the command line: "wordshell all
--everything --checkmodifications"). It avoids this issue because it
does not run any code on the webserver for that operation</Advert>. I'm
sure there must be other functional solutions as well.

Best wishes,
David

--
WordShell - WordPress fast from the CLI - www.wordshell.net