[wp-hackers] Plugin Compatibility Stats

Eric Mann eric at eam.me
Thu Nov 14 15:07:45 UTC 2013

Considering the majority of hosts I work with on projects are on PHP 5.3 or
above, I have been consistently (accidentally) committing 5.3 and 5.4 code
to plugins and themes that I release on WordPress.org.  Unfortunately,
listing a higher version of PHP as a requirement isn't an option since most
of my systems' end users aren't tech savvy enough to know what they're on.

But some, when I ask, *do* know their version and I can track things down
quickly.

What I'd like to see is some sort of statistics tracking regarding plugin,
MySQL, and PHP versions for my plugins - similar to the
http://wordpress.org/about/stats/ page for WordPress itself.

I'd also like to see PHP version added to the self-selected compatibility
report on plugin pages.  Having people mark a plugin as "broken" while only
giving plugin and WordPress versions is a bit misleading.  It takes
considerable back-and-forth with a client before I can discover that yes, I
accidentally used ?: or $this::something() in my code and they're on 5.2.

Is this at all possible for WordPress.org?