[wp-hackers] Transients that are not re-used after their expiry are never garbage-collected

James Collins james at om4.com.au
Mon May 6 02:06:22 UTC 2013

Hi Otto,

On 3 May 2013 23:34, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> Why would you have a transient with a unique key? Or a key that
> changes? This sort of defeats the point of using a transient in the
> first place.

The WP e-Commerce plugin includes what I think is a valid use case for
unique transient keys: [1].

The Australia Post API responses are cached using transients, and the cache
key(s) depend on the volume/dimensions/destination of each customer's cart
contents, which means there can be quite a few different transient cache
keys on each store.

[1]
https://github.com/wp-e-commerce/WP-e-Commerce/blob/master/wpsc-shipping/australiapost.php#L284

James