[wp-hackers] Transients that are not re-used after their expiry are never garbage-collected

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Fri May 3 09:18:04 UTC 2013

Hi,

Just a heads-up for others who may not be aware of this - I was not
until today, until I began to look at my options table with ~250,000
entries in it (after 2 months!)...

WordPress does not garbage-collect transients unless you attempt to
access them. This means that if you use transients with unique keys, or
keys that are not expected to be used after a certain time (e.g. as
access tokens), then they may never be purged.

Here's a simple plugin to provide temporary relief until this is fixed
in core:
http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/artiss-transient-cleaner.1.1.zip

Trac ticket for the issue:
http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/20316#comment:16