[wp-hackers] GSoC 2013 (Attempt Two!): Theme Revisions

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri May 3 06:29:13 UTC 2013

Hi Corey,

First: PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. It is due today (and not at the end
of the day, either - UTC 1900). Thanks. :-)

Second:

This application really makes me think.

First, let's discuss use case. Consider someone who is storing their work
in git, and cloning (or directly working on top of) that repo in
wp-content/themes. Is this the kind of person that will use the theme
editor? Is there actually a benefit to constructing a UI for this user? Is
this a developer-oriented tool?

I see the editors mainly as a tool to help people who are messing around
with their sites. They aren't coders. (If they are, they probably should be
using version control, and I don't think we should reinvent the wheel by
trying to build a GitHub for Mac/Windows/WordPress equivalent -- they'll
probably do just fine with existing tools.) But they can play with the
syntax and modify their site, and maybe look up Template Tags on the Codex.
We can make it easier for them to tweak (and not break) the code for their
site.

I guess what am saying is I would consider is focusing squarely on
a beginner mode. (I attempted theme revisions a long while ago, and it was
a lot to bite off and chew at once.) It *is* possible that git could be
used under the hood for storage, but a custom post type is probably
sufficient -- and also, an awful lot of shared hosting servers simply
won't/don't have version control clients installed. I will say: If you
submit this application as-is, that's quite okay — if it is accepted, we
*can* work out scope and details later.

Nacin