[wp-hackers] GSoC 2013 Proposal: Enhance Profiles.WordPress.org

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri May 3 06:08:50 UTC 2013

Hi Mert,

A few thoughts:

 - To answer the "plugin, theme, or core" question —
profiles.wordpress.orgis a WordPress theme. Lots of plugin
functionality too, and currently the
site uses BuddyPress to some extent. Just in case you needed to know how it
would be powered/written. There is very little good about the current
codebase and it would probably be best if it is a fresh start.

 - Along those lines, have you thought about how you would build some of
these features? How would you build an activity stream in WordPress (or
BuddyPress)? How might you scale that to allow for people to follow other
users and thus see their activity? I imagine if we showed the changelog for
a plugin commit, we'd show the comment text or a post excerpt for forums
and P2s?

 - I think you have a lot of ideas here, but it seems to me like you are
barely scratching the surface on all of them. If we accepted this project,
the first thing that you would probably do with your mentor is figure out
what is important and what could be a self-contained three-month project
for you to focus on. If you had to pick a narrow focus that you could
really crush out of the park, what would it be? What extra details would
you add to the application if you could?

Nacin