[wp-hackers] [GSOC 2013]: Moving Wordpress

Siddharth Jain jn.siddharthjain at gmail.com
Wed May 1 18:02:07 UTC 2013

I am interested in the project on moving wordpress. As the current
procedure involves exporting the database, modifying it then importing
itback for changing the domain. This procedure is quiet complicated.
Moreoverif the hosting is changed we need to modify wp-config.php. My
idea can makethis task easy. Actually i have two ideas in my mind

First Approach
By appending these two lines in wp-config.php we can change the domain
namewhich is certainly not the best fix but works nicely. In my first
approachi  will work on the functionality of appending these two
lines, improvethem and finally I will write make a code that will
modify the filewp-config.php by taking the required inputs from the
user.
define('WP_HOME','http://example.com');
define('WP_SITEURL','http://example.com');

Second Approach
Second approach involves modifying the database (after copying it to
afile) by running a script which does the same thing as the one we
domanually after exporting the database.

I'd appreciate any feedback

Regards
Siddharth Jain