[wp-hackers] WordPress Maturity (was)Re: hate

Mike Schinkel mike at newclarity.net
Wed May 1 09:41:01 UTC 2013

On Apr 30, 2013, at 11:54 PM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:
> Of course it was. My point is: I fail to see a problem with playing the
> long game here. I do believe it remains plugin material. I also do believe
> that it *could* become core material in the future. I just don't see why we
> need to rush it. But also, just because it doesn't yet make sense for core,
> it doesn't mean it isn't suitable for development or use.

I'll preface the rest of my reply by saying I'm getting really weary of trying. I've been trying for well over 3 years to contribute but I probably need to take my own earlier advise regarding insanity and focus elsewhere.

On May 1, 2013, at 12:04 AM, Andrew Nacin <wp at andrewnacin.com> wrote:
> Calling out a contributor by cherry-picking seven of his hundreds (probably
> thousands) of comments is pretty lame.

Lame?  It was over half of his contributions in the past 4 months and most of the rest were his own tickets. I didn't cherry pick.

> ???. A process like this is already happening. Look no further than the
> Posts 2 Posts plugin itself. A number of us like it, and we strongly
> support what scribu and others have done in that space.

What everything really boils down to a noted lack of respect for people in the community that have needs that you and most others who have say on what happens in core don't run into in your day-to-day work with WordPress. Rather than be respectful about the needs people have they are dismissed and at times made fun of among the core team (remember a certain Twitter thread where you taunted that something was trivial, but never actually followed up when it was shown not to be trivial...?)

"We" are always in the wrong, "you" are always in the right, or at least it's so rare to have needs acknowledged that it feels like always. It's quite possible that everything could operate exactly the same as it currently does in the WordPress ecosystem and have a lot fewer people frustrated if there were only a reasonable level of decorum and respect, but alas there is not.

For the first time in years I'm going to unsubscribe from wp-hackers and start the process of moving my business away from dependency on WordPress. I turned 50 yesterday. I'm just getting too old for this shit.

-Mike