[wp-hackers] case sensitivity on new term creation

Casey Bisson casey.bisson at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 03:39:53 UTC 2013

I'm not aware of anything in WP that would enforce case sensitivity there, but the MySQL collation settings would.

There's a chance the table or database is collated in utf8_bin or some other case sensitive collation. A better alternative would be utf8_general_ci or utf8_unicode_ci.

You can check the collation with the following mysql command:

SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'wp_terms';

It's easier to read in the terminal if you put \G on the end, however. Like the following:

SHOW TABLE STATUS LIKE 'wp_terms'\G

That will report the default collation for that table.

--Casey