[wp-hackers] on the role of guid

Dave Ross dave at davidmichaelross.com
Fri Jun 7 01:11:17 UTC 2013

There's been talk of changing the field to a UUID, or at least adding a new
column for a proper UUID. You're right, plugins shouldn't be using that
field as a permalink, but they do. And even if they're wrong, they're out
there.

Someone even submitted a GSoC proposal for setting up a proper UUID. I
don't think it was accepted, but it would be nice to see someone try
building an implementation and seeing what issues crop up with different
plugins & themes.