[wp-hackers] API layer

Christian Foster christian.foster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 07:15:44 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I've been working on a developer oriented API layer for WordPress - it's a
separate (but smallish) application that sits alongside your WordPress
install to help ease development of mobile, flash, JS clients etc.

Mobile-------->
JS Clients--->    A
Flash---------->    P    ----> WordPress Admin
Feeds/Data->    I
Other---------->

It lets us use WordPress for what it is awesome at - the content
management, and helps provide a nice clean interface to that content. It
returns content in any number of configured media types using the Accepts
header or a content type in the URL (/posts/123.json). In progress or
completed so far are:

xml
csv
text
yaml
plist
pdf (with templating)
json
hypermedia formats:
- hal+json
- collection+json
- json+api
- hal+xml

Oauth2 authentication is also implemented with a start on scopes and api
endpoint access restrictions. I've been researching the different
approaches to secure JS clients.

My questions are:

a) is anyone interested in the project?
b) are there any features that people would like to see in a project like
this

It's built using the Lithium PHP framework - which is incredibly flexible.
At the moment it is built as a basis to work off, but there is no reason it
can't be changed into a standalone application with custom
routes/controllers in your own plugin.

Cheers.