[wp-hackers] Searching for plugins on wordpress.org

Mickey Panayiotakis mickey at infamia.com
Sat Jan 19 16:17:06 UTC 2013

Maybe keyword stuffing fools the search engine: results 2-5 mention
"backup" more than 15 times in the description. Of course most of them have
many. Ore downloads than you, except 6scan which stuffs "backup" in the
description 25 times.

On the other hand "ezbackup" 's description is terrible and they rank just
above you...but also have 2x the downloads.

I also get frustrated when researching backups ; I'd love a way to sort
results based on other criteria (eg downloads, rating etc)

Mickey

On Jan 19, 2013 7:00 AM, <wp-hackers-
> On 19 Jan 2013, at 10:37, David Anderson <david at wordshell.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not looking to "game the system", but I am a bit curious if anyone
"in the know" can explain how the search for plugins on wordpress.org works.

> > Obviously, any exact match comes top. So the clever guy who took the
name "backup" gets his plugin top every time when you search for "backup".

> > But the plugin that comes second... "6Scan Backup". Look at the stats:
> > Downloads: 7,262
> > Average rating: 3.1 out of 5 stars (8 5 star, 7 1 star)
> > 0 "it works" ratings on the current version of WP
> > 0 support requests either opened or closed in recent months
> >
> > Now, how does that come second? Compare, to pick a not-at-all-random
example, my own backup plugin, "UpdraftPlus backup":

> > Downloads: 25,014
> > Average rating: 12 ratings, all 5 star
> > 1 "it works" rating on current version of WP
> > 44 out of 47 support requests closed in the last 2 months
> >
> > I'm not saying "mine should come second". There are various other
backup plugins that would rate as well as mine. But I am very curious as to
how "6scan backup" is managing to come second, and how it manages to rate
higher than plugins that appear to score better on every metric.