[wp-hackers] SQL: pulling WP data by multiple meta_key/value pairs

Kevinjohn Gallagher kevinjohngallagher at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:31:48 UTC 2013

Thank you for the replies Sam, Simon and Simon.
While efficiency is obviously important, the number of users and caching right now is at a level where I can live with it for another month.
We're facing a situation where Wordpress is a great tool for the editors to use to select the data needed from 5 - 10 CPTs, and then our front of house staff use a single CPT that effectively is just a selection of the data needed from the other CPTs (via a drop downs). It basically means though that all of the data is in meta_data, given that the 1:1 nature of posts isn't scale-able (things like having a Title as mandatory? that's not really needed in a CMS built to share data in a modular way where multiple data parts make up the whole).
I was hoping to avoid the multiple join route, but it does appear to be the way to go right now.
When I have some stats and the specifics around the before and after I'll come back. You folks can probably spot quite a few improvements.
Thanks again,Kev